Monday, November 12, 2012

A Little Bit About Me - Leibster Style

My bloggy buddy Lauren, from the my new favorite blog The Thinking Closet, tagged me in a post meant to help starting bloggers network and get to know other bloggers. You must go visit her blog. She is amazing at so many things and such a sweet person. I already feel like we are bosom blogging buddies (to paraphrase Anne of Green Gables ;)


Anyway, here are the fun rules:


Rule #1.  Post 11 facts about yourself.
Rule #2.  Answer the 11 questions posed by the person who nominated you.
Rule #3.  Nominate 5 other bloggers with less than 200 followers for the award.
Rule #4.  Create 11 new questions for your nominees.
Rule #5.  Go to each blogger’s site and let them know about the award.
Rule #6.  Thank the person who nominated you and link back to his/her blog.
I don't know very many blogging people since I'm brand spankin' new at this myself, so if you are reading this and would like to play along, feel free to nominate yourself, answer the questions and leave your blog address in the comments. I would love to get to know other newbies!
Here are my facts:


#1. I look super young (in case you hadn't noticed), but I'm not :) So many people tell me I look or sound like I'm 15, I've even had someone kindly tell me I looked like a 12-year-old (lucky me, I've always wanted to look like I'm stuck in some kind of perma-puberty ;) They always end with, "You'll appreciate it when you're older." I'm still waiting for that day to arrive... Anyway, I've graduated college and taught school before I had kids (so no, I wasn't a teenage bride), just in case you're wondering :)
#2. I picked up sewing seriously after marriage and kids. My first ever sewing project back in the day (when my mom was trying to teach me the basics), ended up with a gigantic hole in the middle and the sleeve sewn where the back was supposed to be. -I still don't even know how that was possible. Thankfully for the internet and tutorials, I can actually sew a straight line now!
#3. I love all things vintage and old-fashioned! I've always loved Anne of Green Gables, Pride and Prejudice, and Doris Day. So I used these as my inspiration for my Etsy shop - Ruffly Ribbons.
#4. I played the violin and piano all through high school, and love classical music!
#5. I am in love with figure-skating. I can't wait for the winter olympics so I can watch it nonstop! 
#6. I was obsessed with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings back in the day, and went to the midnight showings, but no Twilight for this girl.
#7. I grew up on a mini farm, with chickens, goats, pidgeons, hamsters, gerbils, iguanas, dogs, and cats, but don't have any pets right now. Maybe one day. I just really don't know if I can handle the hair.
#8. My sister and I love to go thrifting. In fact, we've been doing it our whole lives. Growing up my mom bought all of our clothes from a thrift store when it wasn't cool. I was always so embarrassed, until I had to buy my own clothes and realized how awesome it was to get name brand clothes for a fraction of the price. I'll never go back!
#9. I went to JC Penneys every year on Black Friday for 7 years to get their free snow globe, and nothing else. I stopped last year because I've turned into an old fart and don't want to wake up that early if I don't have to ;) With two kids, sleep has turned into my most prized commodity.
#10. I went on a dream vacation last year to Maine and Vermont. It was heaven. I want to live in New England someday.
#11. I do not shop at Wal-Mart. It's been 5 years now and I have absolutely no regrets! I hated the lines, the ornery people, and the commotion, so I decided to quit cold turkey. It has been so liberating
My questions:
#1. Where are you sitting right this very moment?  Describe your surroundings.
I am sitting in my front room, quietly typing on my laptop so as not to wake up napping kiddos. (Really I should be cleaning the house, but who wants to do that ;) I'm looking at my two blue and pink vintage chairs that I found from the classifieds, my vintage chandelier that I got from a friend, and sitting on my mostly reupholstered sofa that I've been redoing for a couple months now. Maybe one day it will be completely finished!
#2. What inspires you?
Nature and gardening. I love being outside in my flower gardens. It's so refreshing. 
#3. What is one holiday tradition in your family?  (Any holiday.)
For Christmas we do a homemade gift exchange that can't cost more than $5. It's awesome. Last year my brother made me a homemade birdfeeder out of a paint can. My favorite was making my little brother a homemade Hogwarts sweater with a thrifted sweater and felt.
#4. What is your favorite hot drink? 
Hot cocoa topped with peppermint ice cream.
#5. What is one goal you have for the upcoming year?
Finish our basement! We live in an old bungalow that has lots of 'character' and have been slowly updating it.
#6. What is one goal that you accomplished during this past year?
Redoing our mudroom and laundry room.
#7. What is one work of art (painting, film, play, poem, book, etc.) that has made an impact on your life?
The Book of Mormon
#8. What is one quote that you live by?
“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.” 
― Marjorie Pay Hinckley
#9. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you want to be?
England, visiting Jane Austen's house.
#10. If you were forced to spend the rest of your life in a library, museum, or zoo, which would you choose?
Library for sure! Peace and quiet + unlimited books sounds like heaven when you have kids. -But most days I feel like I live in a zoo ;)
#11. What never fails to make you laugh?
My kids. They do and say the most exasperatingly funny things! Like decorating my bathroom with my lipstick... Embellishing runs in this family ;)

13 comments:

  1. Wow! This was absolutely fantastic! Where do I start?

    First, it brought a huge grin to my face to hear you refer to me as your "bloggy buddy"! It's official then. ;-) I'm following your blog via bloglovin' now, so I can stay in the loop on your marvelous "ramblings."

    I, too, am a huge Anne of Green Gables and Jane Austen fan. I recently re-read Pride and Prejudice, and it was just as incredible as I remember from high school. And something about the way you look reminds me of Anne!

    And it was such a delight to read your answers to my questions; I feel I learned so much about you. I love the description of your surroundings (the blue and pink vintage chairs and the chandelier sound loverly).

    Peppermint ice cream in hot cocoa sounds truly divine. I'll have to try that!

    The Hinckley quote is absolutely beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes. I want for that, too.

    Ha! And you made me lol with your last line. I'm not a Mom yet, but I imagine that when it comes to lipstick all over the bathroom, you have to laugh...or you'll cry!

    Thank you for taking the time to answer all of these question. I soaked up every word. Looking forward to getting to know you more and more!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! You have been so nice to take me under your wing as I've been working on getting my blog started. It's so nice to make new friends, have support, and know that people are rooting for me :)

      Delete
  2. I loved your post! Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I'm your newest follower. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! You are so sweet.

      Delete
  3. I love anne of green gables too- used to watch the movie all the time when I was a kid, recently read the book, and now I started anne of avonlea! I wish i could stop shopping at walmart- more because of what it does to small business and the raping of our economy, but those low prices and that price matching keeps me coming back! I'm a slave to the system! AAAHHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I think we are kindred spirits :) Do you love BBC period dramas too? I'm a little obsessed.

      I visited your cute blog and am excited to be your newest follower!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much, Robyn! I appreciate your kind words in my blog!
    Here in Lisbon never snows and I love snow so much...
    Now I'm your follower too!
    Happy week!

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I discovered 30 handmade days through some blog list or party list or whatever..
    ( so I am new to THAT blog )
    She had the ABOUT ME post...and your photo was fun so I clicked on yours ( in case you ever wonder how people land on your blog..I often do :)
    AND for further "market research" lol...once I got as far as " I went to JC Penneys every year on Black Friday for 7 years to get their free snow globe, and nothing else" I just cracked up and bookmarked you to come back :) I have enjoyed my visit here thus far and will come back / have a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, you are so nice! I'm excited to be your bloggy buddy!

      Delete
  6. Wow, SO much of this sounds so much like me it's insane, haha! (Except that I am not married and have no children, but really, minor details..;))
    I am so happy I found your loverly little blog! :D
    Love and blessings to you!!
    ~Traci (Miss Mae) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog too :) I'm so glad we can be blogging buddies!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you sound SO much like me it's crazy (except that I am not married yet and have no children to speak of.. haha but really, minor details;))
    I find that I adore your little blog, and being very new to the blogging world (as a blogger, anyway.. I have followed other blogs for quite some time) it's nice to find someone else new/inexperienced. =)
    You definitely have yourself a new follower!
    Love and blessings in Jesus,
    Traci (Miss Mae) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robyn- just wanted to say thanks for linking up to my special About Me Pity Party last week. I loved reading about you! Your about me page is fun. I'm tempted to quit Walmart cold turkey too. I'm with you on that! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! They make my day! Questions and suggestions are welcome too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...