Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Easy Breezy Bouffant

So this hairdo is not my fanciest or my favorite, but is definitely the most used. It's like those comfy, worn out slippers we all have lurking in our closet. You don't wear them to a wedding, or really anywhere else, but around the house is fine :) 

I have been debuting this hairstyle since the 9th grade. It's been with me through thick and thin (literally - I feel like I've lost half of my hair since I've had kids, anyone else?) I've worn it with my hair long and short, with my hair half up and half down. On top of my head and down at the nape of my neck and pretty much everywhere in between. It's been my fall back hairdo through early mornings in high school, college, student teaching, teaching, and finally into momhood :) Nothing else is quite as fast or easy. 

It got the nickname 'bulbous bouffant' after watching a skit in high school that featured the phrase. Check it out here, right at 2:30. My friend and I have called it that ever since. I think it is quite fitting. So without further ado, here is my version of the messy bun, aka the bulbous bouffant:

Step 1: Start with leftover hair 
(in other words, day old/unwashed/somewhat crinkled and frizzy hair is perfect :)
-Also go round up a lot of bobby pins and some elastics.
*I had to go locate some more bobby pins midway through. They were under the bed.

 Step 2: Gather the hair above your ears into a ponytail and secure with an elastic.
*Confession/Tip: I always use rubber bands from the newspaper for this hairdo because sometimes it gets tangled and then I don't feel bad about cutting them out.
I know some beauticians everywhere are cringing right now.
Step 3: On the last go-around with the elastic, make a loop with your hair.
 Step 4: If you have long hair you will need another elastic.
Loop the ends up and secure with the elastic. 
Step 5: Tuck in any stragglers and loose ends into the elastic.
 *This is the perfect place to stop if you want to look like a unicorn ;)
but for everyone else:

Step 6: Repeat the same with the bottom half of your hair.
 This is looking lovely isn't it?! Aren't you glad you stuck around for it!
Now you can look like a camel :)
-But if you really must, you can continue on for 

Step 7: Separate your top bun/unicorn horn into pieces by pulling from the front and back.
Repeat with the lower bun/camel hump.
  Voila, you're are a froofed camel now :)
 Step 8: Grab the bobby pins, and go to town pinning, twisting, pulling, and froofing in any and every direction until you have the biggest bulbous bouffant in existence :) 
Aren't you so glad you stuck with it to the end? -Actually, don't answer that.
You have to admit, it is the perfect example of a bulbous bouffant, right?!
I realize that may not be a good thing...
However, while it may not be the most beautiful thing, it sure is well loved around here ;)


PS. I am in desperate need of some bang advice! They are getting long and thin, plus I have some baby hairs that just started to grow back after having my kiddo and they aren't blending well, so I need an update. So should I get 'swoopy bangs' or fringe?

*Disclaimer - Three crackers, one fruit roll up, a dinner roll, and multiple cheerios were harmed during the making of this tutorial...
The pile of rubble thrown from the high chair by Thing 2

32 comments:

  1. No shop november Sister dearest... when did you get that cute new shirt may I ask? I think you cheated your own game. Yep.
    ps i do stalk your blog; like any wonderful sister would.
    That's all for now...
    Get working on King-Candy's castle:)
    Love,
    partially still infected (hu-hum.. thing 2),
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Navy coat anyone? (Hu-hum)
      I knew you were a stalker ;)
      I'm saving King Candy's castle for you to do tonight. I think it needs your artistic touch.
      Hope you feel better soon!
      Love,
      Robyn

      Delete
  2. LOVE this! I wish I had the hair thickness and length to pull it off. Found you via Creative Juice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment Kristiina! I just looked at your blog and love your style!

      Delete
  3. Newest follower from Transformation Thursday, would love if you could come by and follow back?
    Erica
    www.ericastartwalking.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica! I love your fashion blog and I have two little guys too :)

      Delete
  4. This looks fabulous! I love how messy and stylish it is at the same time. Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicky! I love it because it's hard to mess up since it's so messy :)

      Delete
  5. Another amazing and elegant hairstyle!Thanks so much for sharing!
    Happy day!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana! You're always so nice to leave comments! I wish I could knit scarves and take beautiful photos like you.

      Delete
  6. Why does this look so cute on you but would probably look ridiculous on me? I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the cute part is iffy, but I still wear it because it's so easy :) Let me know if you try it. You have such pretty hair. I have to do a lot of straightening and curling to get mine to look like yours.

      Delete
  7. This looks so cute! It's fun to discover new ways to do really long hair! :)

    ahumblebumble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! I checked out your blog and was inspired. I'm glad you commented so I could find yours :)

      Delete
  8. Great idea, I love this. Found you through the blog hop, and I `m so glad for it. Your blog is unique, with all the romantic and feminine atmosphere and ideas.

    All the best,
    Aleksandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I go a little crazy with the romantic stuff sometimes ;) I looked at your blog and you are an amazing crafter!

      Delete
  9. You are so amazing. With your easy descriptions even I could pull of this due I think...
    I'm kinda liking the unicorn or camel look, though... I might just stop there.... lol!

    You have a great writing style...
    Say hi to the kiddo!

    Sorry, no advice on the bags... That is so not my area of expertise.... :(

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystelle! I checked out your blog and now I'm going to be on the hunt for old ties :) I love it!

      Delete
  10. So cute!! Now I wish my hair was longer, and fuller and generally less unruly ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissy! I know all about unruly, it takes way too much effort to tame it so I can wear it down, which is why I like to do updos ;)

      Delete
  11. This is awesome! Thanks so much for linking up to the Pinworthy Projects Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannah! And thanks for hosting a fun party!

      Delete
  12. Very cute, I love it and thanks for sharing the tutorial on Blog Stalking Thursday. I have featured you with this this week's party. Don't forget to grab a feature button! You deserve it! http://www.thecraftyblogstalker.com/2012/12/BlogStalkingThursday-70LinkyParty.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! It was so sweet of you to feature me and thank you also for your nice comment! I appreciate it.

      Delete
  13. I needed this today. My "Thing 2" isn't letting me get much done in the way to dressing today, so I needed a quick, unwashed/uncleaned/unhassle way to look presentable today. :) You're awesome!! Newest follower! :)
    -Elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! Easy and presentable are my only requirements for hairstyles, since my "wild things" always keep me on my toes :) (Surviving is my only parenting requirement ;) I'm so glad you found my blog! I feel like we are already kindred spirits!

      Delete
  14. It looks beautiful, I'm afraid mine would look like a rats nest if I tried that. :P I just don't have the touch... Thanks for linking it up!
    http://www.joyfulhomemaking.com/2012/12/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it has looked like a rat's nest on many occasions ;) Thank you for the sweet comment and for hosting a fun party Margo!

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous!! I have hair envy for sure. Loved and pinned. Thanks for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have beautiful ways to style hair! My hair is nowhere near as long as your's, but I have still tried a couple of the do's and have received many compliments....so my compliments to you! I'm in the process of growing out my hair...not sure if it'll ever make it to your length (mine is very thick and naturally curly), but I'll have fun with it anyways!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! They make my day! Questions and suggestions are welcome too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...